Monday, November 30, 2009

Some summer art

Over the summer I took a drawing class, and here are some of the pieces I completed during that week. There are more, but I haven't documented them yet.

We did some oil pastel work focusing on contrasting colors, complimentary colors and so on and so forth. I did several, but when we were allowed to just use all of the pastels, I liked the result a bit more. Here are the ones I feel turned out.




I'd never really had so much fun with oil pastels before, I think I loved it because it was closer to paint.

Some work with charcoal. Again, I'd never worked with it much before, definitely not at this scale. I like the first one, the second...not so much. The trees didn't turn out in my opinion. Too curved and a bit flat looking.



And then there was the color pastel... Enjoyed a bit, since I'd worked with color pastel before, but not my favorite piece in the end. It kept smudging everywhere and it was frustrating balancing the board I was drawing on while sitting in the sand with ants crawling around... I'm not a fan of insects (dragonflies the only exception)


You've probably all seen this piece, taking up room on the tables...then taking up room on the cork board... etc. Well, it was my final piece for the class. I originally was going to do the whole thing in oil pastel like at the bottom, but I soon was frustrated with using one medium and started mismatching. Several parts weren't even drawn as part of the whole landscape and were only incorporated as an afterthought. I intend to keep this piece growing (I'm imagining underground tunnels beneath the roots, mirroring the break from reality that happens at the top)


Lastly, a random pic... I was trying to focus my picture and realized I liked the way my feet looked in the picture. Anyway... who doesn't take a photo or two of their feet?